Home Events Board Members Online Newsletter Meeting Minutes Links InfAERmation AERBVI Membership
SPECIAL CURRENT ITEMS
Katrina's Resources (this is also posted under the "Links" link)
Hot AER Aug 2014
The President’s Message:
By Becky Smallwood
Time flies! The leaves are starting to turn, the days are getting shorter and the nights are cooler. Fall is in the air. That means it is time to plan for the IN – AER fall conference! J
The IN – AER Board has been working hard on planning the conference. There should be something for everyone! Invite your coworkers and friends! It will be Thursday, November 20th & Friday, November 21st. There will be sessions from our own local low vision doctors on working with people with traumatic brain injuries and biotic driving. And more local speakers on the “new” Braille code and on students who are deaf/blind transitioning to higher education, the work force, etc. And we have a local radio personality as the keynote speaker. It’s sure to be a good conference!
Thank you to everyone that attended last year. We hope to see you back again this year. The conference will be in the Oak Room at the Canyon Inn in McCormick’s Creek State Park. Be prepared, there may be a fee for entering the park. We have no control over this, but it’s a great opportunity to carpool as the fee is per car load. J
If it’s time for the conference, it means it is also time to nominate someone for an award. One must be an IN – AER member to nominate, but of course the nominee does not have to be a member. The list of past winners and the nomination form may be found in the newsletter. Put your thinking caps on and start nominating!
Oh, of course, I would be amiss if I did not mention that the Silent Auction and Interactive activity will also be back at the conference. J Bring your checkbooks and/or cash. Items to donate to the auction are welcomed as well. The activity is sure to be fun and you won’t want to miss it!The fees have stayed the same this year. It is again all inclusive; it includes the conference registration fee, two meals, and a hotel room. The registration form and information are in the newsletter. We are attempting to receive ACVREP approval for CEUs as well. Feel free to contact me or any Board member if you have a question. Hope to see you there!
The purpose of the Indiana Chapter of the Association for the Education and Rehabilitation of the Blind and Visually Impaired (IN-AER) is to provide assistance in the promotion, development and improvement of education and rehabilitation services for individuals who are blind or visually impaired in the state of Indiana, regardless of age. This includes:
· Increase public awareness and understanding of the nature and cause of visual impairment and its impact on individuals and society as a whole.
· Increase public understanding of the social and economic gains to society when opportunities are provided for individuals who are blind or visually impaired to become self-sufficient, self-supporting, and contributing members of society.
· Provide local and regional conference and seminar opportunities to discuss all issues related to services for individuals who are blind or visually impaired, including the prevention of certain visual impairments.
· Promote and assist in research and development of professional standards for personnel and specialized programs serving individuals who are blind or visually impaired.
· Collaborate with other groups in the development of programs of social action for the benefit of individuals who are blind or visually impaired.
· Support and collaborate on the international goals of the parent organization, Association of the Education and Rehabilitation of the Blind and Visually Impaired (AERBVI).
Comments and concerns about the IN-AER web site need to be addressed to: IN-AER Web Site Administrator